The Easiest Way To Make Cherry Pie


Here's an idea: let's get over ourselves, bake a cherry pie, and go fall in love with life. - Tom Robbins


As a kid growing up in California, Oregon felt like a million miles away, shrouded in dark days, rain, and mystery. So when my grandma baked her Christmas cherry pie made from fruit grown in Oregon, it felt magical.

My grandma was known for her baking but pies and cookies were her jam. I will always remember her big tin filled with a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies, each layer nestled between wax paper to keep them fresh. 

Biting into her cherry pie felt nothing short of nirvana. Her crust to fruit ratio was perfection. The tartness of the cherries mixed with the sugared filling tasted like summer, even though it was Christmas.

Her method was pretty simple. All she did was follow the recipe on the inside of the can but of course added her own touches which can't be duplicated.

Now I'm living in Oregon and it feels less mysterious. I make my own cherry pies, using the same brand of cherries with the recipe on the inside of the can. Just like my grandma.

It's a way of honoring my grandma's memory and keeping her spirit alive in my heart by baking her favorite recipes. I miss her every day. She was and remains one of life's most precious gifts.

(see below for some of my tips)







P.S. Instead of a butter and/or shortening pie crust, I use this one from #minimalistbaker.
https://minimalistbaker.com/coconut-oil-pie-crust/

P.S.S. I don't use almond extract because I'm not a big fan. Instead, I spike it with a little vanilla vodka but you do you...

P.S.S. Here's the recipe in case you rip the label like I do The recipe is so easy. Just one pot on the stove.
https://www.oregonfruit.com/recipes-and-inspiration/category/desserts/cherry-pie

P.S to infinity: My grandma always wanted her cherry pie to be really vibrant in color so she would add a couple drops of red food coloring to the filling. While it looks lovely, I don't use it. Alternatively you could use a natural food coloring, available at Whole Foods and the like...

Finally, this isn't a paid ad. I just love #oregonfruitproducts red tart cherries!

Comments

Popular Posts