How I January



Creativity has been eluding me these past several months. I feel like my brain gets wrapped up in the mundane routine and I fall into patterns that are more automatic than thoughtfully pursued.

I tend to get really depressed in January because a new year means I'm turning another year older, my kids are one year closer to adulthood and my parents are aging. I become so pessimisstic I actually leave extra food for the dogs and a copy of our will on my desk in case we get in an accident. Don't worry, I'm in therapy for it.

Despite all of it, there are aspects to January I appreciate, especially the stormy days. I am one who loves the fact it starts getting dark at 4 because it signals the time I can put on jammies.

I am enjoying my time off from work (we are in our 'off season' until February because farming) It has allowed me to slow down and absorb more. I'm embracing silence.

Self care has become a bigger priority. Lots more yoga, lots more walking, more water, better sleep habits, less spending on the frivolous and washing my face at night!

My book list has grown, only this time I'm actually reading most of them. I'm in process of trying to 'break up with my phone' which is harder than it sounds.

I'm lighting more candles, cutting fresh rosemary for the house and simmering homemade stove top potpourri.  I minimized the house after Christmas which has allowed me to enjoy it more.

I'm trying out a bunch of new recipes thanks to the New York Times and a collection of new to me cookbooks. I cooked beans and tomato sauce 'from scratch' and made pie dough. I finally perfected a vegan alfredo sauce.

I bought a shredder and found satisfaction in shredding 3 years of old files. I got all adulty and washed the vacuum filter. I cleaned out my wallet. I ventured under my son's bed and pulled out all the old Chinese food he had stashed because he's 15 and lazy...

I've become our in home barista and it has given me so much pleasure to make coffees for people I actually love rather than crabby customers. The tips aren't so good but the grateful smiles from my people make up for it.

I guess creativity takes on different forms. No, I haven't created a macramé wall hanging or illustrated greeting cards. I was creative in my own way and that's enough.

Embrace January in a way that serves you best, my friends.

Here are some of my January faves if you are interested in checking them out....

BOOKS:

Ask Again, Yes by Margaret Keane
Normal People by Sally Rooney
The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah MUSIC:

Local Natives
The Revivalists
Leon Bridges

Vegan Alfredo Recipe https://www.noracooks.com/vegan-alfredo-sauce/


Favorite Candles: Highgarden Scent
https://penrosecandles.com/


My Espresso Maker:

Breville Barista Express (FYI - We got it MUCH CHEAPER thanks to Cyber Monday) https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/breville-barista-express-espresso-maker/?catalogId=21&sku=2101673&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Electrics%20%3E%20Espresso%20Makers&msclkid=49997935a1381f33cfeb272e14c09457&adlclid=ADL-5274e149-3b9c-48d0-ab28-0b327911dc31

Best Coffee:
Coava
(plus they ship for anyone outside of Portland)

TV/Movies:
The Crown Season 3



































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































Comments

Popular Posts