Saturday Mornings

In an effort to preserve some sort of sanity in a fairly busy household I like to start our weekends off right. I make homemade waffles. I like homemade waffles. A lot. I have a buttermilk recipe I use and it includes egg whites beaten to the soft peak stage. It lightens them to make them a bit more fluffy and not so tough.
I also buy this Niman Ranch bacon which is a ranch that practices humane, ethical and sustainable ranching practices. So, I fry some of that as well. Then I like to put out a variety of toppings, depending on the time of year. Peaches and cream is my favorite. Today I put out real maple syrup, brown sugar and fresh whipped cream to welcome fall. We also enjoyed some lovely espresso as well.
The waffle morning has become a tradition in the house and one that we all welcome and enjoy together in our PJs.
When the kids were younger, we would follow waffle morning with games of Go Fish and Crazy 8's. Ray even made a "trophy" of sorts for that week's winner. The kids loved it. Now, they enjoy playing legos and creating art projects after dishes clean up.
Now that fall is officially here, the boys love watching some college football together and then Will helps Ray do a project, like cleaning up the garage or something manly.
A lot of times we will venture over to the Saturday Farmer's Market and then the library for a new supply of books. I welcome these times, they will pass all too soon. I plan to enjoy them as much as possible!

Comments

Popular Posts