What Are We Pursuing?

I am in week 2 of the study called "Convergence - Where Faith and Life Meet" hosted by Donald Miller. I am a fan of it because it is raising questions in my own faith that could possibly change my entire way of thinking (gasp!) This is good for me, I need to be challenged. Whether or not I act on it is another matter entirely.
This week we talked about living in a fallen world and what we are using in our lives that can replace Jesus and the role we put Him in our daily existence.
Things like the pursuit of money (oops!), technology (yikes!), work, (I'm OK on that one - hehehe) can sometimes detract from what really matters.
Now, all things in moderation of course! The study is merely saying that if these things completely take up all our thoughts and actions then we need to reassess the situation.

What damage can be created if we set up "idols" in our lives?

Well, since life is short and full of disappointments, we will certainly experience the reality of being set up only to be let down.
Feelings of failure, 'evil' celebrates if we think something other than God can take away our daily struggles. We tend to return to God when our resources are spent. I'm pretty much a pro at that!

1 John 3:2 sums this up very well, a hope we can lean into.

"Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we will see Him as He is.

My friend, Jen Preston (who I adore!) gave neat insight. Do we believe God is enough because we don't live like we believe it.

Jesus calls us to give up everything. What does that look like today?

Thanks for putting up with me on these posts. This has become a notebook of sorts for me to jot down the thoughts I am processing. It helps me to write it out so I can think it through!

Comments

Popular Posts