Summer Comfort

Today was a day where I could stick a fork in it and call it done! This is actually a good thing.
Started out the morning to beautiful weather and family home. I went to the gym and got my game on, then took Jaimey to the Farmer's Market while the "boys" stayed home and cleaned the garage.
We came home to the sounds of Johnny Cash playing, which for some odd reason is a huge comfort to me. I know, strange, but it is good.
I assembled a caprese salad from my market findings. I sliced fresh mozzarella and roma tomatoes and layered them alternately in a pretty "blate" (cross between a bowl and a plate :)
I chopped some fresh basil chiffonade style and scattered it lightly over the top. I finished it with fabulous olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a few grinds of pepper and a bit of herbs de provence. Beautiful.
Wait...theres more...
I love this artisan bakery that sells wood fired breads at the farmer's market. A particular favorite of mine is their country sourdough. I took a fresh loaf home today and cut part of it into thin, small slices. I placed them on a baking sheet and drizzled the bread with olive oil and sea salt. I put them in a 350 degree oven until they were toasty like a crouton. It looked really pretty served with the salad and tasted so fresh. Welcome summer produce.

We are headed to our 10th BBQ of the summer tomorrow. Last week we went to 3 in A ROW.
I will post a picture of a dessert I'm making tomorrow. It is easy and delicious. I got the recipe from a friend at ANOTHER bbq. It celebrates summer and is very "americana" It involves pound cake, need I say more??
Not just any pound cake though. This pound cake is very special (you can make french toast with it if you are very brave!) It hails from a bakery out of Lake Oswego. Before you gasp in shock as to why I'm not making my own, hear me out. First, pound cake is extremely expensive to make, especially when you assemble the kind of ingredients I use (OK, I sound like a food snob but I am one, so what can I say)
So, this bakery has a horrible name. It is called UCB and makes one think of some industrial bimbo bread making factory. Quite the opposite. Their hamburger buns are "da bomb"
Their pound cake is moist, dense and delicious. I buy it at EZ Orchards.

Enjoy summer comfort (no, I didn't say SOUTHERN comfort - that just makes a wicked punch and leaves a fairly good sized headache)

Comments

Popular Posts