No Brainer Lunch Box Cookies

I have a recipe to share with you today that takes absolutely no thought behind it whatsoever. Super easy, very basic, everyone has made them at one time or another, I'm sure. I like them because my kids like them and I can put them in their lunch boxes and feel relatively OK about it because there some healthy items in them. Now, if you want a super heathly, pack some fiber type cookie, then my mom's recipe is the way to go. She puts in loads of whole wheat flour, flax, etc. Trust me, if you aren't regular before eating them, you will be after. They are total comfort cookies for me though because she has made them for years. I inhaled them while pregnant and I have been known to feed them to my children for breakfast. One of these times perhaps I will share hers. For now, here is my version of the commonly known monster cookie, however the size of mine are more akin to the size of Cookie Monster's newborn baby - if he had one, that is. By the way, wouldn't that be cool if Sesame Street"s Cookie Monster became a father? Wow, deep thoughts for me today, huh?


Start by assembling your ingredients - yes I'm using organic AGAIN but I certainly am not discriminating against those who use regular. I will continue to love and respect you :)
Cream together the following: 1 cup softened butter, 1 cup natural peanut butter ,1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup granulated sugar (I call this my "roux" for baking :) Add 2 eggs and 2 tsp vanilla. Beat well. Then, sift together 1 and 1/2 c all purpose flour, 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp baking soda. Add to the creamed mixture a little at a time until fully incorporated. Add 2 and 1/2 cups of old-fashioned oats, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup of M&Ms. Blend together gently. Your dough should look like this:


Drop by rounded tbsp on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (a total baker must have, in my humble opinion.) I buy this stuff in a case at Cash/Carry - lasts me a few years. So then bake in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Let them sit on the baking sheets to cool and then eat them right off the pan or if you want to be polite, arrange them on a plate.
I do not suggest making these in the evening once the kids are in bed and the house is quiet and Private Practice is about to start. You will have none left for the lunch boxes.


Comments

Popular Posts