In the Midst of Life's Storms

Life is just plain sad. No other way to say it. There are days when it just feels too overwhelming, especially when it involves close friends. Their grief is so severe that as their friend I don't want to see them go through the trial because in my mind, they only deserve joy!

Such is the case of some very special people in my life who I secretly call my "adopted sisters."
They and their families are dealing with a tragedy so shocking and sudden that one can't really find the words to define the pain they are currently experiencing. As I witness their grief I feel so powerless because as I said, I just want to take the pain away from them. When you put children into the mix and observe how little ones deal with grief, the pain acclerates even more for all those involved.

For the past week since this crisis has occurred, I have been contemplating their deep faith and acceptance that life's trials are out of their hands. They have placed their hope in something far greater, one that provides a respite in the midst of a storm, in the midst of severe grief. Decisions they hoped to never have to make are suddenly facing them, demanding answers.

I think of myself and question how I would respond if I was in the same situation and it scares me. I know I would have no choice but to trust God's greater plan but oh the mind numbing sorrow that would completely incapacitate me. I have to admit, it is one of my great fears in life.

This morning I found myself grumpy over this ear infection I have been battling for 2 weeks. Really? Am I really grumpy over an ear infection? Wow, how shallow is that as I watch my friends lives change forever. It gives new perspective to what it is I am choosing to complain about.

There is a very long road ahead for my dear friends, one I want to walk with them, to support them and to be there. I will never have the right words to say though that can ease their pain.

But, may they hold close the promises we have in our faith as children of God. May they be reminded that being absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Comments

Popular Posts