Blueberries In Winter

*recipe follows*









This past summer I did some hunting and gathering at a local blueberry farm. The branches were laden with huge, (pesticide free, I might add) gorgeous berries. They are so easy to pick that before you know it one can have a bucketful in no time flat!






My kids love them so not many made it to the freezer. Even now, I often find Jaimey rummaging around the freezer looking for the ones that DID make it. She loves to eat them frozen.




The sad thing is I really dislike blueberries. Well, I like them in small doses I guess and I love the health properties they contain so I make sure to eat some. Do not even set a plate of blueberry pancakes in front of me though - yuck.





So, it was surprising when I decided to make a blueberry french toast casserole for Sunday brunch. I have the recipe from my friend who is not only an amazing family practice physician, she is also a fantastic cook. Don't even get me started on her cheese grits!




In my mind I thought the kids would love it and Ray would hate it. Was I ever wrong. It was totally the opposite. I'm going to share the recipe with you because it really does provide a hint of summer goodness during our beautiful rainy days. For the record, I had a small portion.
I made a half recipe but the recipe I am sharing is for the full amount.
12 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed in 1 inch pieces
12 eggs
2 (8oz) pkgs. cream cheese
1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
2 cups milk
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
Sauce:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup blueberries
1 tbsp butter
Mix sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water. Boil over med heat for 5 min, stirring constantly. Stir in blueberries and reduce heat. Simmer 8-10 min or until berries burst. Stir in butter until melted. Serve over casserole.
Place half of cubed bread in bottom of greased 9x13 inch pan. Cut cream cheese into 1 inch cubes and scatter over bread. Top with blueberries and the rest of the bread. Beat eggs in a bowl. Add the milk and the syrup in a bowl and mix well. Pour over the bread mixture. Cover and chill overnight (or at least 8 hours). Remove from refrigerator 30 min prior to baking. Bake covered at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 25-30 min until golden brown and the center is set. Serve warm with with blueberry sauce.
Now, I didn't use the sauce recipe because my friend gifted me with a beautiful jar of homemade blueberry lemon sauce. It was divine.
Hope it warms your heart and tummy!

Comments

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but please if you are a hater, maybe keep it to yourself. In other words, don't be a dick.

Popular Posts