Confession

I have something to say that has been heavy on my heart. I feel the need to be honest and share it with you....


Did you know I have an ongoing love affair with Hot Fudge Sauce? I'm not talking about Hershey's or Smucker's or any of that fake nonsense. I'm talking decadent, rich, creamy Hot Fudge Sauce. There is truly nothing like the real thing. I consider it to be it's own food group.

I mentioned in my last post about the ice cream treats for the kids when they lose their teeth. Sadly, mom has been a loser and we haven't quite made it to the ice cream shop. We have been very busy in the evenings so I decided to take on a new approach. I created a "build your own sundae" in honor of the patron saint of lost teeth :)
Yes, I even had those disgusting gummy bears (please don't judge me) as one of the topping options since the kids love them with a capital L.

Of course, I had to make Hot Fudge Sauce to round it all out and I used a recipe from my most favorite chef and restaurant. Head to Portland and check out Mother's Bistro on 2nd and Stark in downtown Portland. You will come away a changed human being. I love and have followed Chef Lisa Shroeder's work for years and had a secret desire to work for her as a pastry chef. Well, she did call and begged me to come work for her but I refused. :)

Anyway, the restaurant is really kitschy and fun and honors all things Mothers which is another reason why I love it. Don't rely on me for the good news though. Check it out for yourself at www.mothersbistro.com and run, as fast as you can if you want comfort food kicked up a notch.

I have her cookbook. I know, you are very surprised. In it is her recipe (which is the best version in this whole sad world we live in) for her "Hot Fudge (Dark Chocolate) Sauce." I am going to do you a big favor and write out the recipe for you and you can thank me later when you gain 10 plus pounds. It will be the best 10 lbs of your life though, guaranteed!

Also, let me mention it is so easy, even your cat could make it (if you don't mind a little hair in it) plus it keeps in the fridge for a week. Of course, that isn't an issue in this house.
I made myself a sundae tonight as well but then had to go and make myself ANOTHER one because I forgot to put roasted almonds on my first one. What a tragedy.

This makes about 2 cups.

1 cup heavy cream (milked from your own cow :)
1 stick unsalted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
pinch of kosher salt
1 cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa

Place the 'heart attack waiting to happen', oh I mean, the cream and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.

Add the granulated and brown sugars and stir until dissolved

Add the salt and the cocoa and whisk well until very smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool to lukewarm.

If needed, you can reheat it and thin with a little cream.


So here is Jaimey's sundae in all it's glory....
Yes, those are whoppers in addition to the gummy bears on her sundae. However, there are some sliced bananas to balance it out. Oh, and sprinkles. Yet another food group.
This photo was taken prior to Will dumping most of the sprinkles on his sundae.

I will spare you the scene around this place after the kids ate their ice cream. Think Tigger from Winnie the Pooh. Now think of Tigger on drugs. You get the idea.

Comments

  1. Ok, just stop it! Did you NOT see my blog post about all the cake I've been eating? And now you have to go and tempt me with Mothers' Hot Fudge Sauce. Jeez. It looks amazing and I just so happen to have some heavy whipping cream I need to use up. Thanks a lot in advance for the 10 pounds I'll gain between today and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but please if you are a hater, maybe keep it to yourself. In other words, don't be a dick.

Popular Posts