I Used To Think Karaoke Was The Name Of A Band

Yes, it's true. I used to think Karaoke was a band with an extremely heavy touring schedule.

Ok, so I was naive. As Joy Behar (or Fred Armisen on Saturday Night Live) would say, "So what?"

"Hi, My name is Jessica and I believed that Karaoke was a musical group until I was 22 years old."

Think there is a support group out there for me?


The truth revealed itself when I was dating Ray. We had been in Eugene one morning and I saw a sign outside a venue, announcing that Karaoke would begin later on in the evening.
Several hours later we were in Portland and I saw another sign. I turned to Ray and said,

"That must be one popular band, I can't believe they have to perform in so many locations on the same day."

Ray claims that is the day he fell in love with me. Especially when he found out I was totally serious.

So what do you think I did last night? Yes, at a couple months shy of turning 40 I sang Karaoke for the first time. The fact that I "performed" in front of mostly complete strangers is beside the point.
The fact that my audience included Ray's boss and his entire FedEx district on the other hand, might be worth mentioning.

Let me also say (to my credit) I was the 2nd one to go up and I chose BeeGee's "You Should Be Dancing" as my song choice.

Want to know something else? Not only did I incorporate dance moves (think Napolean Dynamite), I also included a lounge act in which I "interacted" with my audience. I believe things like, "Howz everybody in the houze toniiiiight?" came out of my mouth and I think I also may have said "I'm here to get this party started!" Yes, I'm pretty sure I said those things.

Want to know something else? I didn't stop there. I went on to sing Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Mr. Roboto" by Styx (complete with robot moves in honor of Sarah.)

Want to know something else? There was no alcohol involved, unless my RC Cola was laced.

Want to know something else? IT.WAS.AWESOME!!

Apparently there is some video floating around. Thanks Ray.

Comments

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but please if you are a hater, maybe keep it to yourself. In other words, don't be a dick.

Popular Posts