When Life Hands You Lemons, You Make....

Lemon Chocolate Chip muffins, of course!

Today seemed to beg for a hint of spring, in my mind anyway. I am reading a book called, "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake." The front cover of the book has a photo featuring a beautiful piece of layered lemon cake and it makes me.want.lots.of.cake.

I love lemons and I especially love to have them in the house during winter. Their color is so vibrant amidst grey, dark days. Ahhh, the beauty of citrus! I even love to clean with lemon juice!

I have a recipe that was given to me from my former boss's wife and I have loved it all these years. I was reminded of it when I saw that book cover. While it isn't actual lemon cake, it pulls a close second for me.

This is a great recipe to use during winter because the lemon provides a real brightness of flavor.

Here ya go...

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temp
1 tsp baking soda
juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 c flour
1 c buttermilk
3/4 cup semi-sweet choc chips
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 tsp sugar



Beat the butter and sugar together.
Beat in the eggs, one at a time
Stir in soda, juice and zest of the lemon
Fold in 1 cup flour, followed by 1/2 cup buttermilk
Repeat flour and buttermilk
Be careful not to overmix the batter because it will make for tough muffins and no one likes tough, rubbery muffins!
Fold in chocolate chips


Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups.
I spray the tin and liners with cooking spray.
Bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 min or until light golden.
Remove from the oven and spoon remaining lemon juice and sugar over warm muffins.







Serve to people you love a lot! These are great after school goodies for my kids and their little friends. They enjoyed them today while still warm from the oven. Oh how Betty Crockerish of me!




Comments

Popular Posts