Nuts To That

I used to despise nuts.  I would only eat them (walnuts in this case) in my grandma's chocolate chip cookies.  Of course, I loved those (and still do.)  My grandma's chocolate chip cookies are epic!

Years went on and I slowly got into the groove of eating more nuts.  My mom has this amazing ability with toasting pecans.  I don't know how she does it but she toasts them to perfection.  From there it gets even more wonderful when you see what she does with these little gems.  She studs brownies with them, she drizzles ganache over them, she puts them in cookies.  They are so very good.

Well for about a year now my intake of nuts has increased because I started doing a higher protein food regime.  Apparently I wasn't getting NEARLY enough protein.  I beg to differ as my thighs certainly contradict that fact. But, as you know, nuts are a fantastic source of protein.

 Months of hives later I still couldn't figure out what the heck was going on with me.  Yeah, it takes me a while.

Several allergy tests later revealed I had a pollen allergy specific to nuts and certain raw fruits.  Of course I didn't stop eating them, then I did stop and then I forgot about it and went back to eating them.  I hate to say it but the hives have now returned, only worse.

I now have to accept the fact that indeed, I am allergic to nuts.  And not just almonds.  Oh no, we are talking peanuts, pecans, sunflower and cashews. You know what?  I don't care.  I didn't pay 30 bucks for an Epi Pen to not use it eventually! 

How in the world can I give up nuts when it is considered one of my high protein snacks each day?  How can I say no to my mom's brownies or my grandma's cookies or heck, my own cookies for that matter?

The answer?  I can't.  But, I might be on to a new fashion trend.  Epi Pen necklaces.  You heard it from me first!

Comments

Popular Posts