Summer Galettes

We are finally hitting some summer weather here in the Northwest.  Sort of.  Enough at least to enjoy some fresh berries and just the beginning of peaches.  So with all this beautiful produce I wanted to make up some summer galettes.  We had a bbq last night under the guise of a meeting so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to showcase some berry beauty.  Anyone who reads my blog knows I am a horrid photographer so my apologies.  I don't think it alters the taste though, hopefully :)  Once again, I am so grateful for my job because I get first dibs on the farmer's produce!  Thank you farmers!

So my first galette is Peach/Raspberry.  I also made a Marionberry one. I use an all butter crust called Pate Brisee. It holds up really well for the juiciness of the fruit.  I actually use Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee recipe.  One recipe makes 2 galettes or about 6 individual ones.  I add more sugar to the crust because I love the sweetness it imparts.  If you wish, go ahead and use your tried and true crust or buy one for convenience sake if you need to.

All I do is use about 1.5 pints of berries, (on the raspberry one I added 3 small peaches) add sugar to taste and about 2 tbsp of flour for thickening.  Gently mix together. The fun thing about galettes is the messier the pastry looks, the better.  The galettes gives off a rustic appeal that I love in baking.

Moving on...Roll out your pastry dough on a floured board until it is 10-12 inches in diameter.  Transfer round to a parchment lined baking sheet.  If you have Silpat mats, now is the time to use them but if you don't have them, no worries.

Now, place your fruit evenly on the crust, leaving about a 2 inch border.  Then simply take the pastry border and fold it towards the fruit, making sure fruit remains even. 

At this time you can glaze the dough and fruit with your favorite warmed preserves and/or raw (turbinado) sugar.  The sugar gives it a lovely crunch.  I didn't use preserves on these because I thought the fruit spoke for itself.  You can also brush the crust with some heavy cream, if you wish.
Fresh Raspberries from Rambler Drive Raspberries (Sinn Family Farms)
First weekend peaches from EZ Orchards



Before Baking....

After baking

Marionberry Galette after baking.

I like to serve them in wedges with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or both!  Any leftovers make for a great breakfast with some coffee, a book and your backyard.

Enjoy a little summer sweetness this weekend

Comments

Popular Posts