Let's Talk Turkey

Every time I sit down to blog I have to get up and walk away from it.  Guess I'm not feelin' it lately.  I have a couple cute stories to share but I will get there eventually....

In the meantime what is on the Thanksgiving menu this year?  Oh, I'm so glad you asked me.  I am a total traditional girl when it comes to the big feast.  I try to make it fairly small because there aren't many of us.  I enjoy using mostly local ingredients to make my meal.  Feels even more special to me!

So, I ordered our turkey from a farmer in Bend this year.  I am a walking advertisement for the show, Portlandia.  If you haven't seen that series I would recommend it - so funny!

So, I picked up the turkey today (no, I didn't go to Bend to get it) at our indoor winter farmers market.  I also got some sourdough stuffing cubes from an artisan bakery I really enjoy, plus some Melrose apples from an apple vendor there as well.  I will leave out the part about dealing with an extremely rude policeman.  Dude, I said I was sorry OK???

Here is my menu:  Remember, I'm really traditional.

Roasted Turkey with Pancetta and Herbs - the recipe is on the cover of Sunset magazine this month.
Sourdough Stuffing
Homemade Green Bean Casserole (from the Pioneer Woman's website)
Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes
Cranberries (OK, I shouldn't admit this - please don't judge me but I absolutely adore the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce, are you horrified??)
Apple Pie (I make my all butter crust for this pie, really great with the apples)
Gravy.Gravy.Gravy.

See?  Pretty typical fare.  I'm OK with that. 

Ray put up our Christmas lights today.  So wonderful, all white and twinkly.  He knows my penchant for white lights.  I think, if it were up to him he would light up the house in green and yellow lights in honor of all things Ducks.  Because he is kind, he indulges my love for the simple, understated look :)

I hope you all enjoy this holiday week!

Comments

Popular Posts