Molasses

This week has started out a bit nutty, I have been doing a bit of dual living between my home and my mom's.  No, Ray and I aren't fighting, at least this time :) 

My mom has been needing my help while she deals with a lot of health issues so I have been going back and forth.

I needed to make something for my team meeting at work tomorrow.  The theme is to bring a favorite Christmas treat to share.
I rooted around my mom's pantry in hopes to find inspiration and sure enough, I did.  I found Molasses.
I grew up on my Grandma's molasses cookies and she always used the Brer Rabbit brand of Molasses.  They are my son's all time favorite cookie, oddly enough.

These aren't a gingersnap type of cookie, although the flavors are distinct like one.  These are better because they are soft and develop a lovely sugar crusted pattern on the top as they bake so there is a bit of a crunch when you bite into them.

As I was making them my mom asked if I could make a double batch.  After all the crud she has been through, somehow these were the only things that actually sounded good to her.  By the way, ginger works great as an anti-nausea remedy.

I'm sorry I don't have photos today.  In between the coming and going I forgot to pack my camera but I will share some photos if there are any leftovers.  By the way, these cookies speak Christmas like nobody's business so if you are needing to get into the spirit of things, these are sure to do it.  Sip an egg nog latte and fire up the carols while you are at it.

Grandma's Molasses Cookies:

3/4 cup Canola oil
1 Cup Sugar (I use half brown and half white)
1/4 Cup Molasses
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Baking Soda
2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/2 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Salt

Cream oil, sugar(s), molasses, egg and vanilla together.  Beat well.  Add flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon and salt.  Mix together gently until flour has been incorporated.  Form into 1 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar.
I like to bake at 350.  They don't take long to bake, only about 10 min so watch carefully.  These are icky if you overbake them.  Anyway, a good rule of thumb is when you see the surfaces develop a cracked appearance, pull them out.

I hope you enjoy them!

Comments

Popular Posts