My Attempt At Somewhat Healthy Cookies


 Today I am giving you a gift.  What you choose to do with it is up to you but I recommend taking advantage of it.  Yes, I have fallen into the whole love affair thing with Ree Drummond, AKA The Pioneer Woman (http://www.thepioneerwoman.com/)

She at least admits it when she uses an obscene amount of heavy cream in her Alfredo Sauce, unlike Paula Deen who assumes you won't bat an eye :)

Have you noticed how expensive kid's snacks are?  Take granola bars for example.  If I buy a huge box at Costco, the kids and Ray get so sick of them by the time they are halfway done.  Alternatively, if I buy smaller boxes in a variety of flavors they are gone within 3 days.  

So, in an effort to save a few bucks in that department I have been looking at some homemade options.  I just read that the majority of a family's grocery bill tends towards the pre made snacks for kid's lunch boxes and the home pantry.  It's a racket I tell you!

I love Monster Cookies and Sensei Ree has a fabulous recipe.  I thought this might be a good one to consider some minor alterations to provide a bit more health to it.  Yes, they still have butter but you could swap out Earth Balance for the butter, if you wish.  This is a great dump and mix recipe.  This makes a big batch so you could freeze some to pull out when needed.

Ree Drummond's Monster Cookies with Jessica's Minor Attempts to Make it More Healthy:

1 cup soft butter
1 cup natural peanut butter
1cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar

(OK, I know we aren't off to a great start here. Bear in mind, I said MINOR changes so stay with me!)

Cream together in mixer

Then:

Add 2 farm fresh eggs (doesn't that sound healthier, farm fresh?)
2 tsp vanilla
Beat well

In separate bowl combine the following:
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground flax
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda

See?  Now we are getting somewhere!

Add to creamed mixture a little at a time until fully incorporated.

Add:
2 and 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (see, dark chocolate is OK because Dr. Oz says it is.  Works for me.)
1 cup rice krispies (OK, make your adjustments here - there are healthier versions of rice krispies out there with Enviro Kids and Trader Joes providing some options.)  You can also eliminate altogether but I have to admit, that little crunch is pretty nice.)

Now, you also can swap out the chocolate (who in their right mind would do such a thing?) with dried cranberries, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, pecans, etc. 

Bake at 350 for about 13-14 minutes until cookies are golden brown.

I know it still isn't great but the health content is at least better! 


As you can see, Jaimey adores them.

And because I am extra generous, I am posting a photo of our cat, Ollie.  He enjoyed a rare bit of sunshine yesterday.

Comments

Popular Posts