It Is Official

Today I become the mother of a middle schooler because Jaimey is graduating from 5th grade. She seems unaffected by it all, just eager for summer break to begin. I, on the other hand, find it quite surreal that the daughter I birthed just yesterday is entering 6th grade. I always hated the cliché 'time goes so fast when you are raising children, before you know it they are grown.' I never disputed it but it seemed like EVERYONE would say it. All the ones that had gone before me who had first hand knowledge of it. Yes, it is true that it does but I will never tell someone that. They will see it on their own soon enough! At the time you simply can't comprehend the fact your child will one day eat solid food or better yet send a text message. I guess I haven't been around little ones in a while. This was proven the other day. I was standing at a crosswalk waiting for a light to change and a grandmother walked up beside me with both a toddler and a baby. I glanced over to find the baby staring at me and the toddler looking over curiously. I felt myself involuntarily move back. It was an unconscious response. I didn't even realize I had done it until I found myself standing a few feet away. It was like they had cooties or something! I was a bit embarrassed and ashamed of myself. The worst part was the feeling of relief that my children were older now. Shame on me but I guess I will blame it on living in the moment.

Comments

Popular Posts