When It's Hot...

I apparently bake. Why in the world I would think it appropriate to bake bread, granola and a peach raspberry galette in 90 plus degree weather is beyond me. Nevertheless, that is what went down so I rolled with it. You can find the granola recipe at www.girlgonechild.net (her blog is on my right side bar.) Pretty good stuff, fairly raw tasting even after baking it but wonderful with fresh berries and almond milk. It can also make a great trail mix - of course add chocolate chips first (no brainer.) In addition, I added some chia seeds to it. Now I just have to say, it was a pretty cool feeling to pull out your own handmade granola, top with strawberries out of my garden and toast bread that I made. I know, it's corny but that is where I am and I felt a true appreciation and gratefulness for simple good food. However, last night I made a gross dinner. I had found the recipe out of the Northwest Vegetarian Cookbook and it was for a couscous salad. Normally I really enjoy couscous and this particular recipe called for corn, beans, etc. tossed in a lime chili vinagrette. Sounds harmless enough. Heck, I even cooked my own black beans for the occasion. What resulted was fairly inedible, enough that my chickens wouldn't even eat it. Let's face it, you know it stinks if the chickens won't even eat it...





Comments

Popular Posts