One Of THOSE Moms....

It's happened.  Other than being a human vending machine my tween kids find me pretty much uncool.

I knew it was only a matter of time.  I had been warned by the moms who had paved the way before me, but secretly hoped I would be exempt.  Still, nothing quite prepares you for it until it actually happens to you.

My kids are officially embarrassed of me.

I remember the days of clingy children, when no one else but mom could soothe the anxious soul.

Not so much anymore.  A text message from a bestie works just fine.

On the rare occasion I have to physically enter my kid's educational institution (a tragedy in their sweet minds),

I am given the following instructions:

"Do not say anything to anyone."

"Do not make eye contact."

"Do not speak to my teacher."

"Do not try to hug or kiss me."

"Do not introduce yourself to the class."

"Do not bring my lunch in late to my class."

"Do not try and chat up my friends."

"Do not talk to fellow parents."

Shit...

It USED to be:

"Can you volunteer in my class every day of the week?"

"Can you bring special treats in for the class?"

"Can you come as a chaperone on all my field trips this year?"

"Can you bring the new kittens to class for my show and tell?"

"Can you give me a hug and a kiss as you walk me to my classroom?"

"Can you hold my hand?"

"Can you come have lunch with with me?"

"Can you be one of our recess monitors?"

Oh the glory days of being popular with my children.

Now granted, I admit that I am pretty much guilty of all the "DON'TS".  I am the mom that waves frantically and yells out the window, "I love you!" as I drop them off at school.

I am the mom playing Taylor Swift's song, "Shake It Off", a little too loudly as I pick them up.

I am the mom that shows up unannounced at school so I can wave at my kids in their class room.

I am the mom that laughs really loud and runs to meet them as they exit the school building.

I am the mom who arrives in old yoga pants and messy ponytail.

It became really apparent how much grief I was causing in my kid's lives when I began to see the eye roll, the muttering under breath, and the refusal to make eye contact.  It was the worst when  my son pretended not to know me.  His teacher had to ask who I was.

I also will admit that my subject of conversation can be questionable in public settings.  For instance, as my daughter and I stood in line at her school orientation, I was sharing how the lady at the salon told me I should start waxing my arm hair.

 I caught her shifty eyes and body language as she slowly started moving away from me.
"Mom, Can we please NOT discuss your arm hair at school?"

Oops.  OK, maybe their concerns are warranted but still...I'm their mom.  They are supposed to be running to greet me with wild hugs and kisses, no matter their age!  Right?  Wrong.  What a bummer.

I am trying to be optimistic when I say that I hope this season passes and one day they will return to their right minds.  It sounds good anyway.

Lest you find my little diatribe completely lacking in redemptive quality, please let me reassure you.  There was a rare glimmer of a breakthrough today.

My son gave me a sweet kiss on the cheek as he said goodbye this morning.  To my surprise it was in front of the school building, I didn't even have to ask. As if the day couldn't get any better, my daughter gave me a big hug and she got out of the car this morning, in front of the school doors.

YES!

Maybe there is hope for this mom with too much arm hair after all.



Comments

  1. I love this post! I, too, was the mom who (ok I admit it) reveled in embarrassing my girls, though they still wanted me around, in spite of it. Granted, they became less tolerant as teenagers and the eye rolls became more frequent. Perhaps constant contact with me made them less easily embarrassed. Hard to say, but I did love my time with them. Now they're grown and one has moved a couple of hours away, but we're still very close, talk every day and visit each other often. Enjoy these years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like your writing style LOL You are quite amusing :) And I'm glad you got a lil' breakthrough :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you can laugh at the whole situation and sprinkle it with self-deprecating humor :) It's beautiful to watch kids move through different phases of life and allow them to become their own strong-willed persons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. So glad that I read in the end that you got the hugs and kisses you deserve. Recently my 20 something son posted an adorable video right on my Facebook, before the whole world. http://youtu.be/pQ4Rnba85o8 I think you'll like it.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I welcome comments but please if you are a hater, maybe keep it to yourself. In other words, don't be a dick.

Popular Posts