A Christmas Ode To My Mother

This has been a type of week where I kept smelling something off, wondered if it was me and then found out it WAS me.

My mom had emergency surgery that came about most unexpectedly so I have been managing two households while she recovers.  Each day I drive an 1 1/2 hrs to her home way out in the country to do chores, build her fire, buy her groceries, laundry and daily maintenance.

I come home to pick kids up from school and transition into mom mode.  

Next day I do it over again.  

I'm not going to lie, I am struggling to adjust here.

Sometimes I feel like the peanut butter between two slices of bread.  My kids are one slice, my mom is the other.  I just hope I am really good peanut butter.

I feel honored to be able to care for my mom, after all she has given and done for me.  Still, it's hard for me to see her in this stage of life because I'm not supposed to be an adult.

You get what I mean.

As life turns,so do our responsibilities.  The mothers who cared for us all those years are now relying on us to do the same for them.

The time together has forced us to slow down though and it has been a treat to have uninterrupted time with my mom, even in the midst of her illness.

 I wrapped the Christmas gifts she had purchased before she got sick while she rested on the couch.  We talked and talked.  Rather, I talked and since I had her hostage, she was forced to listen.  Anyway..

 We had a fire in the fireplace and Christmas carols playing in the background.  We haven't been able to do that in years.  We spent her birthday together and yes, while we still had to visit the doctor, she was able to open her birthday gifts.

My mom as always remains true, supportive, selfless and grateful for what she has been given.  I am blessed to be her daughter.

I love you mama!








Comments

Popular Posts