Look Up

Years ago I had a small baking business. I bit off more than I could chew (pun intended) and soon found myself deep in the mire of organic butter and debt.  I took on too much too soon and paid the price. 

In the middle of the night I was trying to crank out Pecan Caramel Bars.  I was tired, I was stressed. I was a new mom.  I couldn't keep up and I had been awake for the past 18 hours with a huge order due in the morning.  Needless to say I caught not only the caramel bars but the oven on fire as well.

As I took the flaming mass of burnt caramel out to the backyard, I was done.  I threw the entire pan onto the lawn and watched it smolder, disgusted with where I was in life.

It was when I looked up to that inky black sky above me that I realized something.  I couldn't remember the last time I had looked at the sky.  In my haste and busyness I became captive to a force greater than myself.  A force known as over committed.  I was miserable and shocked that I had missed so much in my pursuit for success. Life needed to change.

Now in this season of my life I have been forced to slow down again.  I hate to say it takes serious reasons in order to get my attention.  I wish I could have learned by now.  As my schedule has relaxed to a slow pace during some recovery time, I'm feeling a new sense of awareness.  Awareness of my surroundings, the sky as it changes during fall, the colors the leaves are turning, the crisp air, the way the clouds move and gather strength, the slush of soggy leaves under my boots as I venture out and the comforting smell of pasta sauce on the stove.

The little things I've taken for granted are far more meaningful than I gave them credit for.

Have you looked up lately? You should. You might be surprised by what you discover...








Comments

Popular Posts