Minimize

Welcome to a new year, fresh starts and a new blog.

I refuse to make New Year’s Resolutions because I never keep them. After years of trying I finally let myself off the hook.

However, this year I AM trying something new. In addition to a new blog which I will write about in a bit, I am also implementing a new practice to keep me mindful.

Something gave me pause as I pondered the arrival of 2019. I’m not much for trends but this one I kind of dig. It involves choosing a word for the year. A word that perhaps challenges an individual to seek a new path in their life or holds special meaning. I have been contemplating changes, goal setting and vision casting. As I reflected on what that looks like the word “Minimize” kept popping up. I like it because I believe minimizing can produce effective change, growth and ultimate joy.

I want to reduce my carbon footprint, be gentle to the earth in how I use it’s resources, give more and take in less, read more, lessen screen time, grow in my faith life, increase my support of small businesses and local living, pare down the non-essentials, clean out, create, reduce my Target visits (a biggie for me), save more and spend less. It’s a tall order but again, goals.

On the subject of social media. I have an app through my phone that calculates my weekly screen time. Guys, over the Christmas break my usage on social media increased by a whopping 22,000 percent! How is that even possible?
Unfortunately I think I was living Christmas holiday through a bunch of people I had never met. My feed was full of gorgeous tablescapes and home décor, beautiful people posing in snowy fields with color coordinated outfits and meals that would make Saveur magazine envious. While most of it isn’t truly reality (let’s remind ourselves of all the crap that happens behind the carefully decorated front doors), it still made me think, “Aw damn, I failed”.

Anyway...

My blog refresh is part of my new start. It is very plain, which can be murderous to one trying to build a reader base. You probably won't see visually stunning photos or thought provoking quotes from The Economist. What you will see is my reality which is honest and unfiltered because we all need transparency. What better way to remind myself than sharing my journey towards minimizing with you.

However, you should plan on plenty of dog photos. Because, as I wrote earlier, priorities...

Thanks so much for following along. P.S. If you're so inclined you can sign up with your email via my subscribe link. This allows you to receive updates when I post something new.





Comments

Popular Posts